This recipe is from my Great Aunt Shirley. It’s always a hit at brunch.
1/2 C. oleo (margarine), softened
1 C. sugar
2 T. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C. flour
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 C. chopped apples
2 T. butter
3 T. sugar
3 T. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease loaf pan.
- Cream oleo, sugar, and eggs. Mix in milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture. Mix in apples.
- Put bread dough in pan.
- Mix topping ingredients and place on top of bread dough before baking.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick tests clean.
This can be modified to be a little more healthy – at home I use half whole wheat flour and 2/3 to 3/4 cup sugar.