Aunt Leta, Aunt Elaine and I would get together once a month at each other’s house. The person hosting got to plan the activities for the day. Sometimes we painted, wallpapered, cleaned and sometimes we baked. This was an activity that we made at Leta’s (the bread maker) house before Christmas one year.
2 C. sour cream
2 pkgs, yeast
1/2 C. warm water
1/4 C. butter
1/3 C. sugar
2 tsp. salt
About 6 C. flour
Fruit filling of your choice (can use can of prepared pie filling)
2 C. powdered sugar
2 T. water
- Heat sour cream over low heat until lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in sour cream, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth.
- Mix in enough flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto board, knead until smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turn greased-side up.
- Cover and let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375º.
- Punch down dough; divide into 3 parts.
- Roll each into a 15×6″ rectangle. Place rectangle on a greased baking sheet. With scissors, make 2″ cuts at 1/5″ intervals along both long sides of rectangle.
- Spread fruit filling down center of rectangle.
- Crisscross strips, stretch dough into candy cane shape (approximately 22″).
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes.
- While warm, brush candy cane with butter and drizzle with icing.
- Decorate with green and red maraschino cherries as holly and berries.