This recipe was submitted to the Better Homes and Gardens magazine by Marilyn Schmid. My kids loved to “help” make these by smashing up the Whoppers!
3/4 C. butter, softened
1 1/4 C. packed brown sugar
1 C. granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 C. cooking oil
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 C. whole bran cereal
3 C. malted milk balls, crushed (12 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a 4-quart mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until well combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour and the cereal.
- Reserve 1/2 cup crushed malted milk ball candies to sprinkle on top. Stir remaining candies into dough. (Sharon’s note: I didn’t do this- I just put everything into the bowl)
- Shape dough in 1 1/2 inch balls. (Sharon’s note: I used a scoop)
- Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. (Sharon’s note: I had to place them 3 inches apart or they’d run together)
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- Place cookie sheet on wire rack. Immediately sprinkle tops of warm cookies with reserved crushed candies.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to wire rack. Cool completely.
Makes about 60 cookies.