I got this recipe for chocolate molasses cookies from my co-worker Val Lochner. She submitted the following comments about this recipe:
“The recipe came from my aunt, Leola Velo, who with husband Eddie raised 9 children, and tens upon thousands of turkeys on their farm in western Minnesota. She was a volunteer extraordinaire in her church and community and any recipe from her was guaranteed to be good.”
1 C. sugar
3/4 C. shortening (Crisco)
2 1/3 C. flour
1/4 C. molasses
1/4 C. chocolate syrup
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
- Cream sugar and shortening, add egg.
- Add molasses and chocolate syrup.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to mixture.
- Roll into balls the size of a walnut and place on cookie sheet.
- Dip the bottom of a glass in sugar and press down on each cookie.
- Bake at 350 degrees.