3 skinless boneless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
2 (14.5) cans chicken broth
1 C. frozen corn kernels
1 C. chopped onion
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 T. lemon juice
1 C. chunky salsa
8 oz. corn tortilla chips
1/2 c. shredded Monterrey jack/pepper jack cheese (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the chicken in the oil for 5 min.
- Add the garlic & cumin and mix well.
- Then add the broth, corn, onion, chili powder, lemon juice, & salsa.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
- Break up some tortilla chips into individual bowls* and pour soup over chips.
- Top with cheese and a little sour cream.
* We used the chips to eat the soup (instead of spoons) rather than break them into our bowls.
NOTE – The recipe doesn’t call for it, but we added one can of black beans – drained and rinsed.
One reply on “Chicken Tortilla Soup”
I also added a can of drained & rinsed black beans! Forgot to add that.