Long lost bbuffet contributor, Ellen, here. A friend gave me the greatest gingerbread cookie recipe. Rolls and cuts like a charm and tastes fantastic.
3 C. flour
1 C. light brown sugar
1/4 C. corn starch
1 1/2 T. orange rind
1 T. ginger
1 T. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. molasses
1 T. water
1 C. cold butter, cup into 1 inch pieces
2 cups powdered sugar
2 T. milk (add additional milk to reach desired consistency)
- Mix flour, sugar, cornstarch, orange rind, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk molasses, water and egg in a small bowl; set aside.
- Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Pour molasses mixture over flour; beat with mixer until dough forms a ball.
- Knead 2-3 times until smooth.
- Divide in half; wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut with cookie cutters, place on baking sheets.
- Bake 11-13 minutes in 350 degree oven-cool on wire racks.
- Decorate with icing.