My mother-in-law, Margie, makes the best dill pickles; mainly because she picks the cucumbers when they’re really small.
3 C. water
1/4 C. salt
Cucumbers to fill 2 quart jars
2 garlic bulbs
1/2 C. apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. alum
- Wash and scrub off black points.
- Place cucumbers in ice water for 1 hour.
- Bring water, vinegar, salt and alum to boiling.
- Pack cucumbers in jars, placing dill at bottom, middle and top. Also garlic bulb (1 clove on bottom, 1 in middle and 1 on top).
- Place boiling juice over pickles. Put lid on jar.
- Set jars in water that has been brought to the boiling point and leave until cool or until the next morning.