My sisters gave me a bad time with this recipe. They couldn’t believe that I needed a recipe for potato soup. I still use this when I want potato soup.
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut up
1 small onion, finely chopped (1/3 C.)
3 T. butter or margarine, melted
2 T. all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
1 C. Swiss cheese, shredded (I use Velveeta and not the Swiss)
- In a 2-quart saucepan, add potatoes and onion to 1 cup lightly salted, boiling water. Cover and cook about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Mash potatoes slightly; do not drain.
- Measure mixture and add enough milk to make 5 cups.
- Blend melted butter, flour, salt and pepper. Stir into potato mixture in saucepan; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Add cheese; cook and stir until cheese is partially melted.
Makes 4 to 5 servings.
NOTE: If you use Velveeta cheese, you will need to make more thickening because it will add additional liquid. You can make this recipe to be thick or thin soup and as cheesy as you want it.